1. A genuine cowhide rug will last for years. Cowhides last many years and are meant to hold up to an active family with children, pets, and occasional spills! Extremely easy to care for, we provide a full care and cleaning guide with your purchase.
2. Sometimes what you see is not what you get. More often than not, the hide you choose will be 'of similar color and size' than what is pictured. At Cowhides Direct we take individually photographed pictures of each cowhide so you know exactly what you are getting.
3. Cowhides are hypoallergenic. Unlike traditional carpets and rugs, cowhides do not trap in allergens and do not release fibers into the air.
4. Purchase from a reputable dealer. Many dealers can and will sell inferior cowhides and sell them as genuine products. Cowhides Direct exclusively sells Saddlemark cowhides that undergo a rigorous selection process and are stamped with their signature logo of approval.
5. Choose the country of origin for your rug. When it comes to cowhides, Brazil is known as the top of the line quality but it also carries a higher price tag. This is not to say our European line isn't great either though. The tanning process for both is very similar as well. The difference is often that the European hides can be slightly thinner but the breeds are also different so they have a noticeably different look than Brazilian hides that can be more appealing as well.
Cowhide rugs are a timeless tradition seen in homes of all decor for many decades up through today. They aren't going out of style anytime soon!
A common misconception is that cowhide floor coverings will only sit well in a western themed home. While western decor and cowhide rugs go hand in hand, did you know that we have seen some of styles in many transitional, contemporary, and even modern homes?
While about 9 out of every 10 of our cowhides will be used as a floor covering, you are not limited to using our hides as just a rug. Many customers have transformed entire rooms by using a cowhide as a wall covering and we've even seen coffered ceilings with our hides that completely upgrade any room in your home!
For more design ideas, see our whole guide on Cowhide Decorating Ideas
All of the hides at Cowhides Direct are from Saddlemark Cowhides and are hand selected, stamped with the Saddlemark seal of approval, and come with a unique certificate of authenticity for your specific rug.
Now that you've officially educated yourself in what owning a cowhide is really about, is it time to check out our cowhide rug collection? Give us a call anytime if you have questions at (800) 651-2747 and we will be happy to help!